All rights to this product as well as responsibility for the contents lie with the
Foundation Haus der Geschichte der Bundesrepublik Deutschland
Tel.: (02 28) 91 65-0
Fax: (02 28) 91 65-302
represented by the President, Prof. Dr. Hans Walter Hütter
Director of Communications Dr. habil. Harald Biermann
Head of Department in Berlin Dr. Mike Lukasch
Concept and Editing
Dr. Ruth Rosenberger
Veronica Vargas Gonzalez
Design AudioGuide and Technical Realisation
Outermedia GmbH, Berlin
Carasco & Petschko GbR
Design and production
Anamnesia GmbH, Carasco & Petschko GbR
Dr. Mike Lukasch
Dr. Kornelia Lobmeier
Dr. Annika Michalski
Lenders and Licensors
Josefine Edle von Krepl
Harth Musik Verlag
Deutsches Rundfunk Archiv
Liability for content
As a service provider we are responsible as per section 7 para.1 TMG for our proprietary content on these sites under general law. However, according to sections 8 to 10 TMG we are not obliged to monitor external information transmitted to us or stored on our sites, nor to seek facts or circumstances indicating illegal activity. This does not affect obligations to remove the information or block its use under general laws. Corresponding liability is first assumed, however, as of the point where we become aware of a specific legal infringement of the law. We shall remove without delay such content on becoming aware of the corresponding legal infringements.
Liability for links
Our services contain links to external third-party websites over whose content we have no influence. For this reason, we can accept no responsibility for this external content. The respective service provider or operator of the linked sites is responsible for the content. The linked sites were checked for possible legal infringements at the time the link was created. Illegal content was not discernible at the time the link was created. However, any permanent reviewing of the content of linked sites is not possible without firm indications that there has been an infringement of the law. We will immediately remove such links should such legal violations become known.
The content compiled by the operators of the respective sites and the works on said sites are subject to German copyright law. Duplication, processing, dissemination and any form of exploitation outside the scope of copyright requires the prior written permission of the respective author. Downloads and copies of this site may be made for private, non-commercial purposes on request to the Foundation. Should the content on this site not have been compiled by the operator, third-party copyright shall be observed. In particular, third-party content shall be designated as such. Should you nevertheless notice a copyright infringement, please inform us immediately.
Data protection declaration
We take the protection of your personal data very seriously and process the data collected when you visit our websites in accordance with the latest provisions of data protection law. We neither publish your data nor pass it on to unentitled third parties. In the following declaration we set out what data we collect during your visit to our websites, exactly how it is used and whom you can contact if you have any further questions.
Contact details of the person responsible for processing your data:
Frau Dr. Ruth Rosenberger, Willy-Brandt-Allee 14, D-53113 Bonn
Email: online-redaktion(at)hdg.de Tel.: +49 (0)228 9165-536 Fax: +49 (0)228 9165-301
Contact details of the foundation's data protection officer:
Herr Torsten Kniest, Willy-Brandt-Allee 14, D-53113 Bonn
Email: datenschutz(at)hdg.de Tel.: +49 (0)228 9165-285 Fax: +49 (0)228 9165-302
Data collection and analysis
The website provider automatically stores information in so-called server log files which your browser automatically sends us. These are:
- accessed page or name of the retrieved file
- quantity of data transferred and notification whether access was successful
- browser type and version
- operating system used
- referrer URL (the website from which you visit us)
- anonymised IP address
- date and time of server request
This data cannot be attributed to specific persons and is not merged with other data sources. The data is not used for commercial purposes.
It merely serves to
- guarantee a smooth connection to the website
- enable comfortable use of the website
- guarantee system security and stability.
For the statistical evaluation of our website, we use the free web analysis software AWStats. The programme does not employ cookie files for the evaluation but merely evaluates the server log files. All data is stored on servers which are subject to German data protection law. The data is used exclusively by us. No data is transferred to third parties.
The data processing described above is based on Article 6 (1), sentence 1f of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Our legitimate interest arises from the above purposes for data collection.
As a rule, the use of our website is possible without providing personal information (e.g. name, address or email address). Where this is collected, it is done exclusively on a voluntary basis and with your consent under Article 6 (1), sentence 1a GDPR. This data will not be transferred to third parties without your express permission and then only for the purposes for which you have notified us. Data is only transferred to authorised state institutions and authorities within the framework of legal information requirements or if we are obliged to do so by a court order.
The data is deleted as soon as it is no longer needed for processing and where there is no legal requirement to store it.
Some Internet websites use so-called cookies. These are small text files which are downloaded onto your computer and stored by your browser. They cause no damage to your computer and contain no viruses. They are designed to make our services more user-friendly, efficient and secure.
Most of the cookies we use are so-called "session cookies" which are deleted automatically once you leave our website. Other cookies remain stored on your computer until you delete them. They enable us to recognise your browser on your next visit.
- "Session Cookie" saves the user status throughout the website, by saving session related information.
- "FlyInBox"-Cookie is used when showing hints via fly in windows.
- Analysis cookie by Google Analytics to differentiate users. Used to capture data concerning the number of visits and the user journey.
- "Resolution"-Cookie is used for saving the screen resolution.
- Analysis cookie by Piwik to differentiate users. Used to capture data concerning the number of visits and the user journey.
This website uses Google Analytics, a web analysis service of Google Inc. ("Google"). Google Analytics employs so-called "cookies", text files that are stored on your computer in order to facilitate an analysis of your usage of the site. The information generated by these cookies is usually transferred to a Google server in the USA and stored there. On behalf of the operator of this website, Google will use this information to evaluate your usage of our site, to compile reports on website activity and to provide other services related to website and Internet usage to the website operator.
We only use Google Analytics with an activated IP anonymization feature. This means that Google shorten the IP address of users within Member States of the European Union or other signatories to the agreement on the European Economic Area. Only in exceptional cases will the full IP address be transferred to a Google server in the USA and shortened there. The IP address transferred from the user's browser will not be merged with any other Google data.
You can prevent the storage of cookies by making the appropriate settings in your browser software. You can also prevent the transfer to and processing of the usage data collected by Google through the cookie by downloading and installing the browser plugin available at the following link and thus deactivating Google Analytics: http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=de.
You can prevent the gathering of information by Google Analytics about your visit to this website by clicking on the following link. It will download an opt-out cookie which will prevent the future collection of your information when you visit this website: deactivate Google Analytics
- pursuant to Article 15 GDPR demand information from us about your personal data processed by us. In particular about the purposes of the processing, the categories of personal data concerned, the categories of recipients to whom the personal data have been or will be disclosed, the envisaged duration of storage, the source of your data if not collected by us as well as the existence of automated decision-making , including profiling, and if necessary meaningful information about specific details;
- pursuant to Article 16 GDPR demand the immediate rectification of inaccurate personal data and the completion of incomplete personal data stored by us;
- pursuant to Article 17 GDPR demand the erasure of personal data stored by us where processing of this data is not required for exercising the right of freedom of expression and information, for compliance with a legal obligation, for reasons of public interest or for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims;
- pursuant to Article 18 GDPR demand the restriction of the processing of your personal data in so far as you contest the accuracy of the data, the processing is unlawful but you oppose the erasure and we no longer need the data but you require them for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims or you have lodged an objection to processing pursuant to Article 21 GDRP;
- pursuant to Article 20 GDPR demand the right to receive your personal data which you have provided to us in a structured, commonly-used and machine-readable format or the right to transmit the data to another controller;
- pursuant to Article 7(3) GDPR withdraw your consent. This will result in us no longer being able to process the data based on this consent in future, and
- pursuant to Article 77 GDPR lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority. As a rule, you can apply to the supervisory authority in your habitual place or residence, place or work or our headquarters.
Right to object
If your personal data is processed on the basis of legitimate interests pursuant to Article 6(1), sentence 1f, you have the right pursuant to Article 21 GDPR to object to the processing of your personal data if there are reasons arising from your particular situation or the objection is against direct marketing. In the latter case you have a general right to object which we shall implement without the statement of a particular situation.
If you would like to avail yourself of your right of cancellation or objection, it is sufficient to send an email to online-redaktion(at)hdg.de.
When you visit our website, we employ the widely used Secure Socket Layer (SSL) procedure in conjunction with the highest level of encryption which your browser supports. This is usually a 256 Bit encryption. If your browser does not support 256 Bit encryption, we revert instead to 128 Bit v3 technology. You can see from the closed symbol in the lower status bar of your browser whether an individual page of our website is being downloaded in encrypted form.
We use appropriate technical and organisational security measures to protect your data against accidental or deliberate manipulation, partial or complete loss, destruction or unauthorised access by third parties. Our security measures are continuously improved in line with technological developments.
Amendments to this data protection declaration
Amendments or adjustments to our data protection declaration will be necessary from time to time for legal and/or organisational reasons. Please note the latest version of our data protection declaration.